Monday, April 27, 2009

sixth of the sixth.

So I was browsing my sister, Kim's blog today when I came upon this blog post. It made me curious enough to see what was the 6th picture in the 6th folder on my computer. And this is what I found...


...a picture I took of Shoshone Falls a couple of weeks ago when Travis and I took a little day trip to Twin Falls. I realized I hadn't written a post about our little trip, so I thought this was the perfect reminder.

Travis isn't from Idaho, he's from Utah. So, he decided there were a few things right off the interstate he needed to see and explore. So, being the prepared person he is, he mapped our day out and we took off at 8:00 in the morning to explore a few "historical" landmarks. This was good for me because honestly, I hadn't been to any of these locations since my high school days. We decided to start our day off at the Twin Falls Temple since I wasn't able to go to the open house this summer. It is a beautiful temple and I was grateful for the opportunity to start the day off in the temple.

(not the best picture of the temple...we took it while driving)

We then drove to an internment camp in Minidoka. I had no idea what an internment camp was, so it was a good educational experience for me. (most days with Travis are educational, actually :D)

(To read about the Minidoka Internment Camp, click here)

We then drove to Shoshone Falls where we ate our picnic lunch in the car because it was ridiculously windy. We got out and walked around for a while, but the wind had us running back to the car sooner than later. I just have to say...I'm a pretty tough girl, and I lived in Rexburg for four years...but I've never felt or experience wind like we did at Shoshone Falls this day! Cah-razy wind.

We then made one final stop at Malad Gorge before heading home to have dinner with all the family that was in town....




And this brings us to the next day trip...

Just this past Thursday, we took another day trip to one of my favorite spots in all of Idaho. Our final destination was Stanley, Idaho where one of the most beautiful mountain lakes is...Redfish Lake. On our drive we stopped and hiked into two different hot springs... Pine Flats and Kirkham...where we soaked in all of those good Idaho minerals.

I was really hoping with all the warm sunshine we had been receiving we would be able to get into Redfish. Unfortunately, it was all wishful thinking. The road into Redfish was closed so we decided to walk in and see what we could see. We didn't make it all the way to the lake, as the road wasn't plowed all the way, but we did make it to one of my favorite little spots...this beautiful, crystal clear river you drive over on your way in...



Every time my family has gone to Redfish Lake I have admired this little spot. The water is so crystal clear and oh so enticing. I've always wanted to swim in this spot of the river...it looks so clean and refreshing...but I never have. I guess that just gives me one more thing to add to my list this summer.


It was a great day and we had a lot of fun getting out of dodge on an ordinary weekday and enjoying the beauty of Idaho!

8 comments:

Pam said...

Oh how this makes me yearn for a camping trip to Redfish! It is a beautiful spot with lots of memories from my childhood and your childhood up until just a few years ago!! Lots of fun times with our group on the lake and around the campfire!! Thanks for sharing your pictures!

Sheen said...

i just love you!

i haven't been to any of these places! and i'm a bit jealous because they all look so beautiful! i hear redfish lake is awesome. i might have to talk adam into going on a camping trip this summer.

you are absolutely beautiful cindy! i love your face so much!

i hope you're doing good!

Kim said...

oh Idaho, how I miss you!!!!! but don't worry sister, i miss you more!!!

Darling pictures....darling girl...darling _ _ _!

Livi said...

NEVER a boring time with Cindy!! So many fun road trips to be had in ID. :)

robin said...

love it. love it. but i want to know more about this travis. i think you should do a post all about travis. that would be great. thank you.

lara said...

fun, cin! i am loving all of your pictures together with travis:)

Heidi said...

I agree Redfish Lake is an absolutley beautiful lake to visit. Glad to see you are showing Travis all the good spots!

Kemp said...

Okay you two are adorable!!!! I must meet him soon! We need to plan a date night!