Tuesday, September 7, 2010

trying my hand at baking.

Last weekend I made two things I've never made in my life.

A loaf of bread and a cake from scratch. Yes folks, from scratch.
(I know, I know. This should have happened years ago.)

My first attempt was Rosemary Olive Oil Bread on Friday night.
We had some fresh herbs growing in our window sill for a couple of months. Until I failed to water them for a couple of days that is.
Before throwing the sad, dead plants away, I decided I couldn't let all of that delicious smelling rosemary go to waste. So I gave a recipe I found online a whirl . . . and it was YUMMY!

I was pretty worried it wasn't going to turn out. After all, it seems every adult woman who is a bread making wonder has told me her first 2 or 3 loaves were a total disaster.

I found myself going into the kitchen about every 5 minutes while it was rising to see if it was getting any bigger . . . and bigger it was! Travis just laughed every time I hollered at him from the kitchen, "It's bigger! It's bigger!!!"

It was good and pretty. A total success in my book.

My second attempt was a Key Lime Cake recipe Trav found online (Sorry, don't know where he found it). He printed it off, handed it to me and said, "This sounds good (wink, wink)."

As you can see, I didn't attempt the from scratch cake by myself. I had a pretty cute assistant this time. We whipped it up Sunday night and took it over to the folk's for dinner.

If I ever make this cake again, I would omit the green food coloring. Or just not put quite so much in. It was bright green. Not so appetizing.


We topped it with homemade cream cheese frosting . . . which was a big hit with Sarah and Trav. I'm pretty sure they would have cleaned that bowl out if we would have let them.

I was pretty happy with the outcome of both. If I had the time, I'd like to make all of my bread from scratch. All I need is a green Kitchen Aid . . .

(P.S. Isn't Sarah's new hair cut ADORABLE?)

3 comments:

Lisa-Marie said...

Travis, you really are the nicest boy in boise. I love that you offered to go to class for your friend. that is sweet. and just like you. BUT....do i see pen on your hand?!?!?!?! I thought that was supposed to be a no no! Seriously, you can't have a REAL job and still be writing on your hands! But, I still love you.

Cin. your bread looks amazing! Yum. Someday, I'll have the counter space to make bread. And not a freezing house. Bread will not raise in my house. Well, not in the winter anyway! LOVE YOU!

lara said...

i love sarah's hair cut! so cute!

and nice baking skills...i'll give you my "no knead" bread recipe. it's DREAMY.

you are quite the domestic goddess:)

Grandma W. said...

Wow! What a beautiful loaf of bread and I know it must have been so delicious!!! Keep it up!! I love that you try new things!!
Darn, I bet that is the Sunday evening Kim called and asked us to come for dinner, but I was worn out and didn't feel like we should go, and--------what did we miss by not going????!!!! Key Lime Cake!!!! Sounds great and was pretty too! Did it taste good? Nobody said! But, from the look on Sarah's face, I am sure it was!
Yes, her hair is darling!
We love you!