Tuesday, January 4, 2011

it's beginning to look a lot like christmas . . .

 . . . or it was looking a lot like Christmas. 

Until about 30 minutes ago.

Trav and I just took down all of our Christmas decorations, including the tree.  Sad.  But time.

I loved decorating our little home for the holidays!  It is something I have looked forward to for years.  The last couple of years . . . when I was single and living with my folks . . . I was always itching around the holidays to have my own space to decorate.  And this year I got it!  Trav was a total tropper (as always) and let me do whatever I wanted.  The week after Thanksgiving, I am sure he wondered each day what new thing he would come home to after work.

Want to know a secret?  

Most of my decorations came from the Dollar Store mixed with a combination of things I already had.  There were a few things we splurged on . . . like my pretty, quilted, off-white, tree skirt . . . that I LOVE.  I saw it and knew I had to have it!


The Wall of Love.  This didn't come down tonight.  I love it too much.  I'm not sure when I'll be able to take it down.  I love sitting at the dinner table, with all of your smiling faces watching over me.  It seriously adds a little splash of joy to my day anytime I look at it.
 

There was a lot of yarn in my decorations this year.  I love the texture and look of it.  It just looks cozy and warm . . . perfect for the winter holidays.

It all started with this wreath.  My sister, Kim, found it on a blog she reads and we instantly knew we had to make ourselves one.  We made one for the fall, then we made one for our sister, Lisa's, birthday (which I got a serious war wound from . . . I'll share that one with you later.), and then I made this one for Christmas.  I loved our door.  It made me smile each time I came home.


I then got the idea to wrap some glass hurricanes I had laying around in some yarn (I already had) and put candles in them for a centerpiece on the table.  I'm sure I'm not the first person to have done this, but I've never seen it.  I'll admit, I was quite pleased with the idea when they were done.  They too are still sitting on my table.  


Then, the ultimate yarn creation came from my darling, dearest, Kristie.  She saw these hand crocheted garlands in the windows of Anthropologie and figured out how to do them.  We got together and went a bit wild.   They were the perfect touch for boring windows.  These also ended up on my tree and tied around everyone's presents.
 

I tied pinecones and glittery ornaments to the bottom of the yarn garlands for an added touch of cuteness (again, thanks Kristie and Anthropologie!).


This quote was put in the bathroom during the holidays, but it's staying year round too.  I've actually had some good thoughts come from it as I've gotten ready in the mornings.


A cute little snowflake bunting, made out of foam snowflakes I found at the Dollar Store.  Seriously, no shame in lovin' the Dollar Store!



Until next year . . .

1 comment:

Grandma W. said...

Golly, Honey! What cute and pretty CHRISTmas decor!! You did good at the Dollar Store too! I love to go to that store! Every year, you will think of something different and soon you will wonder where you are going to store everything!!! Happens to all of us!! But, that is OK! It will be time to put it all up again soon as fast as time flies!! I remember so clearly Papa and My first Christmas decorating in our
"little" apartment! We had so much fun there! Sixty two years ago!!! This year we hardly did a thing, but next year will be better!
Love You!