Monday, January 24, 2011

staycation.

A few months back Travis and I decided we wanted to do a "Staycation."  Or as we lovingly called it, a "Boise Date."  There are so many great things to do in this little city and often times, we do whatever is the cheapest for date nights . . . temple (which is always good!), dollar movies, red boxes, cheap dinners like Five Guys, or walks on the Green Belt.
 
We decided to save our money and act like tourists in our own town.  I HIGHLY recommend this to anyone!  We had a BLAST!

We turned our phones off for the weekend and got a {nice} hotel in downtown Boise with the best continental breakfast for three nights.  We parked our car in the parking garage and left it there the whole weekend (with exception to driving to church).  We walked everywhere we went and explored downtown Boise all weekend long.


We went to a movie at the expensive, nice theatre and even bought popcorn . . .


It was a scary movie even . . .
(Season of the Witch.  It was alright.)


And ate lots and lot of delicious food . . .
 

At restaurants we normally wouldn't fork out the money to go to . . .
(Like PF Changs.  SO GOOD!)


We went on long walks in the rain . . .
 


 And gave ourselves a self guided tour of the beautiful State Capitol Building . . .
 

I spent a lot of time gawking at my very cute husband . . .
 





And I of course had to ring the Liberty Bell to complete our tour . . .



Trav of course spent a lot of time reading . . .
(while I spent a lot of time napping and clicking thru the tv . . . remembering why we don't have a tv.)



We walked to the Discovery Center and played with the scientific gadgets that have been there since my childhood.  There's a few new ones, but it took me right back to being an 8 year old, running around the place with my science-loving dad. 
 
And now I run around it with my science-loving husband . . .


We spent hours playing the new game Trav's mom gave him for his birthday, "Ticket to Ride," in our hotel room on Sunday afternoon.  I think we played seven games of it and I only beat Trav once!  Such is life . . .
 

We swam in the pool . . .
 

And sat in the hot tub . . .
 

And did more and more and more walking around our beautiful downtown . . .
 

It truly was the perfect weekend.

My sister Kim said it best, "Of COURSE you had a great time.  You stayed in a hotel and ate out for every meal for three days!"  And she was right . . . no dishes, no cleaning, no phones, no obligations, no where to be, and nothing important to do other than enjoy each other's company = perfect weekend.

***A huge thanks to Uncle John for hooking us up with a fantastic room at the hotel and to my awesome mother-in-law for fun gift certificates for Christmas to help with the weekend!

5 comments:

Grandma W. said...

What a neat way to see the town! Let me tell you! It is a good thing you two did it now and not wait until you get older! Because when you get so old,you cannot do all that walking! We would have to spend most of our time in the Hotel room!
Good for Uncle John for helping you out! He is a good guy too!
Glad you had so much fun!
We love you!

Kristen said...

Ahhh, what a fun fun fun weekend. I love the picture of you two watching the scary movie, it made me smile. You two are so cute, I love all of your twitterpated posts about Trav. I could not have asked for a better sister in law. I love you.

David & Heidi said...

Ohhh...sounds like a wonderful weekend...David and I have thought about doing this! Hope your doing fabulous!

Hannah Neville McMillan said...

this looks like SO much fun!!!!

brightbit said...

Sam and I had a staycation last summer downtown, so fun!!